Wednesday, October 18, 2006

What is this, day 1 again?

I started a blog last month on my own personal website. Then I found out the limitations of that super easy to use Apple software. So now I'm using the blogospherical nation since it seems to work so well for Beth and Kevwrex (two of my favorite to read blawgs).

So here's the interesting quote and idea I found from today. A coworker sent around a bit of news about Rick Santorum which immediately made me think of santorum as coined and used by Dan Savage of Savage Love. So I went to go check out what great ole Dan Savage had to say lately (on this, a very rare not too busy day at work). He had John Cameron Mitchell along as a guest celebrity advice giver. John Cameron Mitchell is quickly becoming one of my heroes. Someone who is both meek and bold, brave but not pompous, challenging to some of the things that fundamentally make us human. Here's what he said today:

"There's weird pressure in a big city to know exactly who you are," said John Cameron Mitchell, the actor, director, and New Yorker, when we spoke on the phone about your letter. "You can wind up feeling more lonely because everyone else seems to know who they are."

Ever feel like that? I've often thought about why big cities can feel so lonely sometimes amongst the throngs of people living withing 7 square miles of you. That's one fantastic perspective. I think that pressure to know exactly who you are is absurd because knowing exactly seems to be the end of questioning, the end of personal curiosity, perhaps the end of growth. Keep wondering, keep searching.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Mr. Astigmatism, I have a feeling this will be a new favorite haunt. Now link to me, damn it.

7:40 PM  
Blogger brum said...

[anthro/sociology dork:] Georg Simmel once wrote that cities can be the most alienating and lonely environment in which a person could live. You could walk by more people in central London in a single day than you will ever actually know in your life... But, sometimes that anonymity is the only thing that keeps one sane.

12:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home